“Plant a Seed, Grow a Healthy Future”
Thursday, April 24th
10 am – 2 pm, Front lawn of Building 1
NIH Earth Day at the Bethesda Campus will be a celebration with activities and information for NIH employees, contractors, visitors, and children here for Take Your Child to Work Day.
NIH employees at local offsite locations may wish to take advantage of the extra shuttles that day.
This is a NIH Zero Waste Event! All waste will be composted or recycled.
Photographs from the 2013 NIH Earth Day.
List of Recycling and Reuse Exhibits and Activities:
- Collection of used eyeglasses and used cell phones
- NIH Charities: Pull Tabs for Charity
- NIH Recycling Program
- Montgomery County Recycling Program
- Prince George's County Recycling Program
- Collection of non-accountable electronics, aka "Techno Trash:" keyboards, mice, speakers, power cords, CDs, etc
- Learn about the new BigBelly Solar Waste Stations
Bring your own lunch or purchase food from the following food trucks:
- Ben & Jerry's
- Local food trucks
Exhibits and Activities:
- The National Geographic
- Native Azalea Seedlings Give-Away
- NBC Channel 4 Storm Team Truck
- Learn about hawks and owls from Scales and Tales
- Take a Nature Walk of the NIH Stream 10:30am and 12:30pm
- The National Aquariumin Baltimore
- The Smithsonian Institution
- The Nature Conservancy. Information on the Chesapeake Bay Watershed
- The NIH Green Features Sustainability Map
- KP the NIH Federal Credit Union Mascot Dog will be on hand.
- NIH Fleet Management: Alternative fuel vehicles
- Take the Green Pledge and hang it on the pledge tree
- NIH Bicycle Commuters Club. Don't forget Bike to Work Day on May 16th
- Sustainable Food exhibits from Eurest
- See if you can power our music using the NIH bike and your legs to generate energy.
- See chicks, ducklings, and goats. Learn about the importance of supporting local farms, home gardening, eating organic foods, and the benefits of backyard chickens.